Thursday, August 21, 2008


Servay Hypermarket razed
Millions of ringgit up in smoke as fire destroys building in Penampang
Fire destroyed the Servay Hypermarket in Penampang New Township near here last night, causing losses that run into millions of ringgit. The fire, which broke out about 7.30pm when the popular two-storey Hypermarket was packed with hundreds of customers, was believed to be caused by a short-circuit upstairs. However, no casualties were reported, but four people who were said to be briefly trapped in the burning building and fainted were quickly rescued by personnel from Pasukan Tindakan Cemas Malaysia (PTCM). Two persons, including a 12-year-old, were trapped inside the toilet in the hypermarket but were also saved. According to a sales assistant of the Hypermarket, the fire started in the back store room and spread quickly due to strong winds. The second floor of the Hypermarket was completely engulfed in flames soon after before collapsing hours later. Acording to Sábah Fire and Rescue Department Director Khirudin Drahman @ Husaini, the Department in Penampang was alerted at about 7.38 pm and rushed the first fire engine to the scene at about 7.4lpm. “A total of 19 fire engines from Kota Kinabalu, Penampang and Lintas rushed to the scene to control the fire,” he said. “Some 47 staff of the hypermart were working at the time,” he said adding that the main problem controlling the fire was poor ventilation. The second floor had already collapsed when the fire was put und control at about 9.36pm. Civil Defence and Police person were also at the scene to help control a massive crowd of onlookers.

No comments: